Help during winter

State of Affairs

Todd Hunter represents part of Nueces County. Contact him at todd.hunter@house.texas. gov or at (512) 463-0672 or (361) 949-4603.

Todd Hunter represents part of Nueces County. Contact him at todd.hunter@house.texas. gov or at (512) 463-0672 or (361) 949-4603.

With the winter months now upon us, I want to talk about an issue that some households may face during the cooler parts of the year. In addition to colder temperatures, our area’s combination of humidity and high winds can be particularly grueling during this time of year, especially for those living in homes without proper insulation.

Fortunately, the State of Texas has a program to help limited income residents properly equip their homes for the winter months. This program, administered by the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs (TDHCA), is known as the Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP). In this week’s column, I would like to share information about this program to help ensure the health and safety of all residents of the Coastal Bend this winter.

WAP was established with the goal of helping lower income residents live in more efficient homes through weatherization. To do this, the program provides assistance with installing weatherization-related materials and making other minor home repairs as well as providing helpful home safety tips. By weatherizing their home, residents can lower energy costs by ensuring their homes are properly insulated.

The program is administered through local WAP providers across the state. In our area, TDHCA works with the Nueces County Community Action Agency to help Coastal Bend residents. To contact the Nueces County Community Action Agency, located at 101 South Padre Island Drive, please call (361) 883-7201.

According to the TDHCA’s website, the program offers the following types of services:

• Energy audit (a review of your home’s energy efficiency, which identifies where air leaks may be occurring, inefficient appliances, etc.)

• Installation of weatherization measures to increase energy efficiency of a home (structure must be able to benefit from being weatherized.)

• The weatherization work, including caulking; weather-stripping; adding ceiling, wall and floor insulation; patching holes in the building envelope; duct work, and tune-up, repair or replacement of energy inefficient heating and cooling systems.

• Installation of weatherization measures that meet specific energy-savings goals.

• Ensure all installation materials meet the standards meet state and federal regulations.

To learn more about the program and eligibility requirements, please visit the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs’ website regarding the Home Weatherization Program Additionally, you can call the toll-free number from a landline at (888) 606-8889 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. The toll-free number will directly connect you with the WAP service provider in your county.

If you have questions regarding any of the information mentioned in this week’s column, please do not hesitate to call my Capitol or District Office.

Please always feel free to contact my office if you have any questions or issues regarding a Texas state agency, or if you would like to contact my office regarding constituent services.

As always, my offices are available at any time to assist with questions, concerns, or comments.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.