Man indicted in SUV deaths
A San Antonio man has been indicted on manslaughter charges in connection with the deaths of two children involved in a one-vehicle accident on State Hwy. 361(the Island Road) in Port Aransas last year.
Ruben Renteria, 34, was indicted on the seconddegree felony counts by a Nueces County Grand Jury on Thursday, April 5. Penalties for second-degree felonies range up to 20 years in prison and a fine up to $10,000.
Jacob Ricarte, 8, and Jelena Robles, 2, were passengers in an SUV that Renteria was driving at the time of the accident.
The wreck happened on State Hwy. 361 near the Cinnamon Shore development on Aug. 19. The 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport was traveling north when it drifted off the road, struck a concrete culvert and flipped end over end, landing on its roof.
All eight children in the SUV, including Jacob and Jelena, allegedly weren’t wearing seatbelts at the time of the accident, according to police.
Police believe the accident happened because Renteria fell asleep, said Detective Mike Hannon of the Port Aransas Police Department. Tests found no alcohol or drugs in Renteria’s system, Hannon said.
The only other adult in the vehicle was 31-year-old Jeanette Castanon, identified by police as Renteria’s friend. Jacob was Castanon’s son. Jelena was her niece.
Seven of the children were related to Castanon, according to PAPD. The other child was identified as a family friend. Everyone in the vehicle was from San Antonio.
Questions? Com- ments? Contact Dan Parker at ( 361) 749- 5131 or firstname.lastname@example.org