• Port Aransas Community Park Swimming Pool, 700 Clark Parkway: swim lessons, water exercise and lap swimming. Open daily except Monday. Open swim: Tuesday through Thursday,1- 2 p.m., Friday through Sunday, 1-6 p.m. Lap swim: noon-1 p.m. Call 749-2416 for more lap swim hours and information. • Computer Center, Monday – Friday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.; Saturday 10 a.m.-2 p.m.; closed Sunday. Hours subject to volunteer availability. 430 N. Alister St. Free e-mail. 749-4011. • Art Center for the Islands: Classes, workshops. 749-7334. • The University of Texas at Austin Marine Science Institute (UTMSI) Visitors Center: Open Monday - Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Free. • Port Aransas Museum, Alister at Brundrett Street. 1-5 p.m. Thursday - Saturday. • Trolley: 10 a.m.-5:55 p.m. Wave down anywhere along the route from Roberts Point Park to Beach Access Rd 1A and State Hwy. 361 South. Maps, schedules available at the Tourist Bureau. • Flexi-B bus service between Port Aransas and Corpus Christi by appointment. Call City Hall, 749-4111 to make reservations. Picks up passengers at 7:30 a.m. and 10 a.m. Mon. – Fri. and at 10 a.m. Sat. Leaves Corpus Christi at 3:30 p.m. Mon. – Sat. $1.25 each way. Del Mar and TAMU-CC students ride free. • Alcoholics Anonymous open meeting, 8 p.m. Monday through Sunday, Sharp Pavilion behind Trinity-by-the-Sea Episcopal Church, 433 Trojan. 749-6449. • Alcoholics Anonymous, noon, Monday through Friday. St. Joseph Catholic Church parish hall, 100 Station St. Nonsmoking.
• Free Wetland Education Center tours, UTMSI, 10 a.m. Tues. and Thurs. • Port Aransas Running Club and Walkers, Too, 7 a.m., Tues., Wed., Thurs., community park swimming pool parking lot. Contact Steve Canion, 749-3388. • Rotary Club, noon Thurs., Pelican’s Landing Restaurant, 337 N. Alister St. • Adult water exercise classes, 60 minutes, 8:30 a.m., 9:30 a.m. and noon, Tues.-Fri., community park swimming pool, 700 Clark Parkway. • Adult tennis, 7:30 a.m. Mon., Wed., Fri., and 7 p.m. Mon. and Wed., PAISD courts on Station Street. Free, no partner needed. Call Murray 749-4861 or 749-5131. • Port Aransas Museum tours of the Little Chapel on the Hill, first and third Friday and Saturday of each month at 9:30 a.m. Call or visit the museum for reservations, 749-3800. • Story Time, 10:30–11 a.m. Sat., Bill Ellis Memorial Library, 749-4116. • Port Aransas Volleyball Assoc. Mon., H.G. Olsen Elementary School gym, 100 Station St. • Birding on the Boardwalk, guided bird walk with Nan Dietert, 9 a.m., Wed. 749-4158. • Friends of the Library, alternating Wednesdays at the library, 710 W. Ave. A, 6 p.m. • Kiwanis Club, noon Wed., Jay’s Seafood and Spaghetti Works, 710 State Hwy. 361. • Project FREE Free, anonymous and confidential testing for HIV, hepatitis-C, syphilis, gonorrhea and chlamydia, 10 a.m., first and third Tuesday of every month,JELM Center office,113 S. Alister St. Walk-ins O.K. • Low Impact Aerobics, 8 a.m., Mon., Wed., Fri., JELM Center at Community Presbyterian Church, 113 S. Alister St. • VFW Pool Tournament, 7 p.m., Wed., VFW, 311 N. Alister St. • Free hot lunches, 12:30 p.m., Sun., Grace Community Church, 1801 S. 11th St.
THIS WEEK THURSDAY, MAY 12
• Brundrett Middle School field day, 12:30-3 p.m. PAISD track. (See story Page XX.) • Free movie, 3 p.m. UTMSI Visitor Center. ‘Science of the Deep: Aquarius-Living Beneath the Sea,’ 45 min. Subject to cancellation without notice. • Animal Friends of Port Aransas t-shirt sale, 3-7 p.m. Family Center IGA. • Parrot Heads of Port Aransas, 6:30 p.m. Maynard residence, call 749-5141 for directions.
FRIDAY, MAY 13
• H.G. Olsen Elementary field day, 8:30-3 p.m. PAISD track. (See story Page 7A.) • Sunset Sounds, 7 p.m. Patsy Jones Amphitheater in Roberts Point Park. (See story this page.)
SATURDAY, MAY 14
• Election Day for city positions, 7 a.m.-7 p.m. Community Center. (See story Page 1A.) • Yoga on the Beach, 8 a.m. Horace Caldwell Pier. (See story this page.)
SUNDAY, MAY 15
• Bike rodeo, 2-3:30 p.m. Port Aransas High School. (See story this page.) • VFW Post 8967 troops collection drive, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Family Center IGA.
MONDAY, MAY 16
• Free movie, 3 p.m. UTMSI Visitor Center. ‘Chasing Giants: On the Trail of the Giant Squid,’ 86 min. Subject to cancellation without notice. • Town hall hurricane meeting, 6 p.m. Community Center. (See story Page 1A.) • Marlins Booster Club annual Athletic Banquet, 7 p.m., Civic Center; tickets $10/plate. (See story Page 7A.)
TUESDAY, MAY 17
• UTMSI Visitor Center movie cancelled. • H.E.L.P. workshop, 7:30 p.m. Community Center. (See story this page.)
WEDNESDAY, MAY 18 • UTMSI Visitor Center movie cancelled.
ON THE HORIZON
|June||4||•||Take a||Kid||Fishing Tournament|