DAILY • Port Aransas Community Park Swimming Pool, 700 Clark Parkway: swim lessons, water exercise and lap swimming. Open daily except Monday. Open swim: Tuesday through Thursday,1- 2 p.m., Friday through Sunday, 1 to 6 p.m. Lap swim: noon to 1 p.m. Call 749-2416 for more lap swim hours and information. • Computer Center, Monday – Friday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.; Saturday 10 a.m.-2 p.m.; closed Sunday. Hours subject to volunteer availability. 430 N. Alister St. Free e-mail. 749-4011. • Art Center for the Islands: Classes, workshops. 749-7334. • The University of Texas at Austin Marine Science Institute (UTMSI) Visitors Center: Open Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. -- 5 p.m. Free. • Port Aransas Museum, Alister at Brundrett street. 1 - 5 p.m. Thursday - Saturday. • Trolley: 10 a.m. - 5:55 p.m. Wave down anywhere along the route from Roberts Point Park to Beach Access Rd 1A and State Hwy. 361 South. Maps, schedules available at the Tourist Bureau. • Flexi- B bus service between Port Aransas and Corpus Christi by appointment.Call City Hall, 749- 4111 to make reservations. Picks up passengers at 7:30 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. Mon. – Fri. and at 10 a.m. Sat. Leaves Corpus Christi at 3:30 p.m. Mon. – Sat. $1.25 each way. Del Mar and TAMU-CC students ride free. • Alcoholics Anonymous open meeting, 8 p. m. Monday through Sunday, Sharp Pavilion behind Trinityby the-Sea Episcopal Church, 433 Trojan. 749-6449. • Alcoholics Anonymous, noon, Monday through Friday. St. Joseph Catholic Church parish hall, 100 Station St. Non-smoking.
• Free Wetland Education Center tours, UTMSI, 10 a.m. Tues. and Thurs. • Port Aransas Running Club and Walkers, Too, 7 a.m., Tues., Wed., Thurs., community park swimming pool parking lot. Contact Steve Canion, 749-3388. • Rotary Club, noon Thurs., Pelican’s Landing Restaurant, 337 N. Alister St. • Adult water exercise classes, 60 minutes, 8:30 a.m., 9:30 a.m. and noon, Tues.-Fri., community park swimming pool, 700 Clark Parkway. • Adult tennis, 7:30 a.m. Mon., Wed., Fri., and 7 p.m. Mon. and Wed., PAISD courts on Station Street. Free, no partner needed. Call Murray 749-4861 or 749-5131. • Port Aransas Museum tours of the Little Chapel on the Hill, first and third Friday and Saturday of each month at 10 a.m. Call or visit the museum for reservations, 749-3800. • Story Time, 10:30 – 11 a.m. Sat., Bill Ellis Memorial Library, 749-4116. • Port Aransas Volleyball Assoc. Mon., H.G. Olsen Elementary School gym, 100 Station St. • Birding on the Boardwalk, guided bird walk with Nan Dietert, 9 a.m., Wed. 749-4158. • Friends of the Library, alternating Wednesdays at the library, 710 W. Ave. A, 6 p.m. • Kiwanis Club, noon Wed., Jay’s Seafood and Spaghetti Works, 710 State Hwy. 361. • Project FREE Free, anonymous and confidential testing for HIV, hepatitis-C, syphilis, gonorrhea and chlamydia, 10 a.m., first and third Tuesday of every month, JELM Center office, 113 S. Alister St. Walk-ins O.K. • Low Impact Aerobics, 8 a.m., Mon., Wed., Fri., JELM Center at Community Presbyterian Church, 113 S. Alister St. • VFW Pool Tournament, 7 p.m., Wed., VFW, 311 N. Alister St.
THIS WEEK THURSDAY, JANUARY 27
• Free movie, UTMSI Visitor Center, 3 p.m., ‘If We Had No Moon,’ 50 min. Subject to cancellation without notice. • Boy Scout Troop 29 registration rally, 6 p.m. Boy Scout Hut, behind the Pollock Center.(See story Page 10A.) • The Parrot Heads of Port Aransas, 6:30 p.m. Bernie’s Beachhouse, 730 Trout St. • UTMSI public lecture, 7 p.m. Visitor Center auditorium, located on Cotter Ave., one block short of the beach. (See story Page 1B.) • ‘Opal’s Baby’, 7:30 p.m. Community Theatre, 2327 St. Hwy. 361. (See story this page.)
FRIDAY, JANUARY 28
• Beach walk, 9 a.m. Horace Caldwell Pier. (See story this page.) • ‘Opal’s Baby’, 7:30 p.m. Community Theatre. (See story this page.)
SATURDAY, JANUARY 29
• Citywide garage sale. Community Center and sites around town. (See story this page.) • VFW Post 8967 dinner, 6 p.m. At the post, 311 N. Alister St. (See story Page 3B.) • ‘Opal’s Baby’, 7:30 p.m. Community Theatre. (See story this page.)
SUNDAY, JANUARY 30
• ‘Hearts for the Arts’ silent auction begins. Art Center for the Islands, 323 N. Alister St. (See story this page.)
MONDAY, JANUARY 31
• Free movie, UTMSI Visitor Center, 3 p.m., ‘Shark Week: American Shark,’ 45 min. Subject to cancellation without notice. • Dine Around, 5 to 8 p.m. Locations around town. (See story this page.)
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 1
• We’re Having Fun workshop: Origami, 2 p.m. Girl Scout Hut, 739 W. Ave. A. (See story Page 4B.) • Free movie, UTMSI Visitor Center, 3 p.m., ‘Volcanoes of the Deep Sea,’ 45 min. Subject to cancellation without notice.
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 2
• Groundhog Day Shadow Stroll,10 a.m. Fred Rhodes Memorial Pavilion in Roberts Point Park. (See story this page.) • Brown Bag lecture, noon. Community Center. (See story Page 9A.) • Free movie, UTMSI Visitor Center, 3 p.m., ‘Planet Earth: Shallow Seas,’ 60 min. Subject to cancellation without notice.
ON THE HORIZON
Feb 5-6 • Book Sale
Feb. 10 • Kiwanis Wine Tasting
Feb. 12 • Winter Beach Cleanup
Feb. 24-27 • Whooping Crane