DAILY • Port Aransas Community Park Swimming Pool, 700 Clark Parkway: swim lessons, water exercise and lap swimming. Open daily except Monday. Open swim: Tuesday through Thursday,1- 2 p.m., Friday through Sunday, 1 to 6 p.m. Lap swim: noon to 1 p.m. Call 749-2416 for more lap swim hours and information.
• Computer Center, Monday – Friday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.; Saturday 10 a.m.-2 p.m.; closed Sunday. Hours subject to volunteer availability. 430 N. Alister St. Free e-mail. 749-4011.
• Art Center for the Islands: Classes, workshops. 749-7334.
• The University of Texas at Austin Marine Science Institute (UTMSI) Visitors Center: Open Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. -- 5 p.m. Free.
• Port Aransas Museum, Alister at Brundrett street. 1 - 5 p.m. Thursday - Saturday.
• Trolley: 10 a.m. - 5:55 p.m. Wave down anywhere along the route from Roberts Point Park to Beach Access Rd 1A and State Hwy. 361 South. Maps, schedules available at the Tourist Bureau.
• Flexi- B bus service between Port Aransas and Corpus Christi by appointment.Call City Hall, 749- 4111 to make reservations. Picks up passengers at 7:30 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. Mon. – Fri. and at 10 a.m. Sat. Leaves Corpus Christi at 3:30 p.m. Mon. – Sat. $1.25 each way. Del Mar and TAMU-CC students ride free.
• Alcoholics Anonymous open meeting, 8 p. m. Monday through Sunday, Sharp Pavilion behind Trinityby the-Sea Episcopal Church, 433 Trojan. 749-6449.
• Alcoholics Anonymous, noon, Monday through Friday. St. Joseph Catholic Church parish hall, 100 Station St. Non-smoking.
• Free Wetland Education Center tours, UTMSI, 10 a.m. Tues. and Thurs.
• Port Aransas Running Club and Walkers, Too, 7 a.m., Tues., Wed., Thurs., community park swimming pool parking lot. Contact Steve Canion, 749-3388.
• Rotary Club, noon Thurs., Pelican’s Landing Restaurant, 337 N. Alister St.
• Adult water exercise classes, 60 minutes, 8:30 a.m., 9:30 a.m. and noon, Tues.-Fri., community park swimming pool, 700 Clark Parkway.
• Adult tennis, 7:30 a.m. Mon., Wed., Fri., and 7 p.m. Mon. and Wed., PAISD courts on Station Street. Free, no partner needed. Call Murray 749-4861 or 749-5131.
• Port Aransas Museum tours of the Little Chapel on the Hill, first and third Friday and Saturday of each month at 10 a.m. Call or visit the museum for reservations, 749-3800. (Note: Tours are suspended for chapel refurbishing.)
• Story Time, 10:30 – 11 a.m. Sat., Bill Ellis Memorial Library, 749-4116.
• Port A Pens, 10-noon Mon., Bill Ellis Memorial Library, 710 W. Ave. A.
• Port Aransas Volleyball Assoc. Mon., H.G. Olsen Elementary School gym, 100 Station St.
• Birding on the Boardwalk, guided bird walk with Nan Dietert, 9 a.m., Wed. 749-4158.
• Friends of the Library, alternating Wednesdays at the library, 710 W. Ave. A, 6 p.m.
• Kiwanis Club, noon Wed., Jay’s Seafood and Spaghetti Works, 710 State Hwy. 361.
• Project FREE Free, anonymous and confidential testing for HIV, hepatitis-C, syphilis, gonorrhea and chlamydia, 10 a.m., first and third Tuesday of every month, JELM Center office, 113 S. Alister St. Walk-ins O.K.
• Low Impact Aerobics, 8 a.m., Mon., Wed., Fri., JELM Center at Community Presbyterian Church, 113 S. Alister St.
• VFW Pool Tournament, 7 p.m., Wed., VFW, 311 N. Alister St.
THIS WEEK THURSDAY, JANUARY 13
• Coastal Bend Blood Center blood drive, 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. Family Center IGA, 418 S. Alister St. (See story this page.) • Free movie, UTMSI Visitor Center, 3 p.m., ‘Planet Earth: Ocean Deep,’ 60 min. Subject to cancellation without notice. • UTMSI public lecture, 7 p.m. Visitor Center auditorium, located on Cotter Ave., one block short of the beach. (See story Page 1B.) • ‘Opal’s Baby’, 7:30 p.m. Community Theatre, 2327 St. Hwy. 361. (See story this page.)
FRIDAY, JANUARY 14
• ‘Opal’s Baby’, 7:30 p.m. Community Theatre. 2327 St. Hwy. 361. (See story this page.)
SATURDAY, JANUARY 15
• Project Graduation bake sale, 8 a.m. Family Center IGA. 418 S. Alister St. (See story Page 7A.) • ‘Porch Party’ with City Councilman Steve Lanoux: Informal citizen discussions, 10 a.m. Community Center, 408 N. Alister St. E-mail comments and input to email@example.com. • Animal Shelter Adorable and Adoptable Day and Open House, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. 403 W. Cotter Ave. (See story this page.) • VFW fundraiser ticket sale, noon - 4 p.m. Family Center IGA. (See story Page 2B.) • Rotary Club’s Fish Fry and Dance, 6 p.m. Civic Center, 710 W. Ave. A. (See story this page.) • ‘Opal’s Baby’, 7:30 p.m. Community Theatre. (See story this page.) • Third Saturday Sale, 11 a.m. - 5 p.m. Art Center for the Islands, 323 N. Alister St. (See story this Page 8A.)
SUNDAY, JANUARY 18
• 8th Annual Sandy Awards, 7:30 p.m. Community Theatre. (See story this page.)
MONDAY, JANUARY 17
• Martin Luther King Day • Free movie, UTMSI Visitor Center, 3 p.m., ‘Planet Earth: Fresh Water,’ 60 min. Subject to cancellation without notice. • Winter Sounds concert, 7 p. m. Community Theatre. (See story Page 8B.)
TUESDAY, JANUARY 18
• H.E.L.P. tour, 9 a.m. - noon. Meet in Civic Center parking lot (See story this page.) • We’re Having Fun workshop: Drip candles, 2 p.m. Girl Scout Hut, 739 W. Ave. A. (See story this page.) • Free movie, UTMSI Visitor Center, 3 p.m., ‘Planet Earth: Ice Worlds,’ 60 min. Subject to cancellation without notice. • KPAB, 7 p.m. Community Center. (See story Page 10A.)
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 19
• H.E.L.P. lecture, 2 p.m. Community Center. (See story this page.) • Brown Bag lecture, noon. Community Center. (See story Page 6B.) • Free movie, UTMSI Visitor Center, 3 p.m., ‘Planet Earth: Jungles,’ 60 min. Subject to cancellation without notice.
ON THE HORIZON
Jan. 20 • Kiwanis Club Potato Bake Jan. 22 • Garden Club Tour of Homes Jan. 31 • Dine Around