Despite unfortunate turn of events, we move on
In small towns, city managers and school superintendents typically come and go about every three to five years, especially if the people holding those positions are relatively young and upwardly mobile.
Port Aransas is no exception, so it’s no surprise that our city manager, Robert Bradshaw, applied for a position that would have been a step up for him.
The surprise – disappointment may be the better word – is that, once he found out his name was being made public as one of 53 applicants for the Corpus Christi city manager’s job, Bradshaw did not contact the mayor or any of the council members. Mayor Keith McMullin found out about it from the Caller-Times online edition last Tuesday night, and the rest of the council found out later. It was an unfortunate sequence of events, and probably no one feels worse about it than Bradshaw.
While we might have expected Bradshaw would aspire to bigger things, especially in his hometown of Corpus Christi, it’s unsettling that it came less than six months after he became city manager of Port Aransas.
Bradshaw said he applied to “test the waters,” even though he thought he would not be a contender.
When Bradshaw learned that the names of all the applicants would be made public, he withdrew his application. He had been told initially that only the names of the finalists would be released, but in an email sent to him Tuesday, Dec. 21, the search firm informed him that Texas law requires that names of all applicants, even those who withdrew their names, would be released to the media. So, even though Bradshaw withdrew his application the next day, his name was released with the other 52 applicants in the Caller-Times online on Tuesday, Dec. 28 and in the print edition on Wednesday, Dec. 29.
Bradshaw said that he considered his application a moot issue when he withdrew it because, at that point, he was no longer an applicant.
He’s correct. Upon withdrawal of his application, he was no longer an applicant. However, the mayor and council members should not have learned about it from a third party a week after Bradshaw knew his name would be released with the 52 other applicants.
It was an unfortunate failure to communicate.
Mayor Keith McMullin said he was disappointed in Bradshaw and that he let him know it.
“But it’s done and we’re moving on,” McMullin said.
The mayor said there is too much to be done, and he hopes Bradshaw is here for the long haul.
“I think he’s the right person for Port Aransas, and I’m choosing not to dwell on it,” McMullin said.
The rest of the council appears to be dusting off and moving on as well.
We’re a tad shaken by the situation, but if Bradshaw can demonstrate his commitment to the community of Port Aransas, the best we can do is to move forward in the best interests of Port Aransas.
Mary Henkel Judson is editor and copublisher of the South Jetty. Contact her at email@example.com, (361) 749-5131 or P.O. Box 1117, Port Aransas, TX 78373.