No shortage of fishing tourneys
Summer fishing is about to go into full swing and anglers can find a tournament just about every weekend in Port Aransas. Many are benefits for youth or charity organizations.
Following is a listing of tournaments on this summer’s calendar, all of which homeport in Port Aransas.
All are subject to change due to weather conditions, so call for confirmation.
• The 27th annual Coastal Conservation Association’s (CCA) Take a Kid Fishing Tournament is set for June 5. Registration will be June 4.
Kids through age 16 can fish for fun and prizes in a tournament designed to teach them the skill and pleasure of fishing.
Awards are presented at Woody’s Sports Center. Contestants are reminded to come to the awards presentation whether they caught any fish or not, because everyone wins something in this tournament.
For more information contact Glenn Martin at Woody’s at 749-5252 or Charlie Zahn at 749-6687.
• The 27th annual Woody’s Powderpuff Fishing Tournament, for women anglers only, is on for June 18-19.
Call Woody’s Sports Center at 749- 5252 for more details, or go online to www.gulfcoastfishing.com.
• The Port Aransas Masters’ Tournament Fred Rhodes Memorial Tournament will be held June 24-27. Call Pete Fox at 749-4870 for details, or go online to www.foxyachtsales.com.
• The 75th annual Deep Sea Roundup, benefiting scholarships and other youth programs, will be July 8-11. The oldest tournament on the Texas Gulf coast includes offshore and bay-surf divisions for both adult and junior anglers as well as a bay fly-fishing division. As always, a Piggy Perch Contest entertains the younger set.
Call the Port Aransas Boatmen, Inc., which sponsors the tournament, at 749- 6339 for details, or go online to www. paboatmen.org. Registration forms are also available at www.portasouthjetty. com. Click on the forms link on the sidebar at left, then, the Deep Sea Roundup Registration form.
• The 35th annual Outboard Fishing Tournament is slated for July 16-18. The Ladies Fire Auxiliary sponsors the tournament to benefit the Port Aransas Volunteer Fire Department. It is for boats powered exclusively by outboard motors.
First and second place trophies will be awarded for the two largest fish in each category. Also, trophies will be awarded for hard luck, good sportsmanship and most unusual fish.
Call Kim Hill at 749-6211 for more information.
• The Hope Devlin Kids’ Fishing Tournament is set for July 2-3. Proceeds from the tournament sponsored by the Kiwanis Club of Port Aransas will go to provide scholarships for Port Aransas High School graduates.
Winners will receive bicycles that will be presented in three age categories for the largest fish by weight. Age categories are 0-5 years, 6 to 10 years, and 11 to 16 years. Awards for participation also are presented.
For more information, call Elvia Tamayo at 749-4096 or (361) 816- 5282.
• The Texas Women Angler’s Tournament, benefiting the Women’s Shelter, is on the calendar for Aug. 27-29. This is a tag and release tournament, and each catch must be documented according to tournament rules. The tournament also offers tuna, wahoo and dolphin divisions. To register or find out additional information, contact Sharon Miller at (361) 882-6000 or check out the tournament’s Web site at www. gofishtx.com.
• The 13th annual Blue Wave Owners Tournament, July 23-24. For more information, call Shawn Pipkins at (918) 473-6768 or go online to www. bluewaveboats.com.
Tournament dates and details are subject to change. Call the numbers provided and watch the South Jetty for updates.