• Port Aransas Community Park Swimming Pool, 700 Clark Parkway: swim lessons, water exercise and lap swimming. Open daily except Mondays for open swim, 1- 6 p.m., and more. Call 749-2416 for lap swim hours and information.
• Computer Center, Monday – Friday, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.; Saturday 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.; closed Sunday. 430 N. Alister St. Free e-mail. 749-4011.
• Art Center for the Islands: Classes, workshops. 749-7334.
• The University of Texas at Austin Marine Science Institute (UTMSI) Visitors Center: Open Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. -- 5 p.m. Free.
• Port Aransas Museum, Alister at Brundrett street. 1 - 5 p.m. Thursday - Saturday.
• Trolley: 10 a.m. - 5:55 p.m. Wave down anywhere along the route from Roberts Point Park to Beach Access Rd 1A and State Hwy. 361 South. Maps, schedules available at the Tourist Bureau.
• Flexi-B bus service between Port Aransas and Corpus Christi by appointment. Call City Hall, 749- 4111 to make reservations. Picks up passengers at 7:30 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. Mon. – Fri. and at 10 a.m. Sat. Leaves Corpus Christi at 3:30 p.m. Mon. – Sat. $1.25 each way. Del Mar and TAMU-CC students ride free.
• Free Wetland Education Center tours, UTMSI, 10 a.m. Tues.,Thurs., and Sat.
• Port Aransas Running Club and Walkers, Too, 7 a.m., Tues., Wed., Thurs., community park swimming pool parking lot. Contact Steve Canion, 749-3388.
• Rotary Club, noon Thurs., Pelican’s Landing Restaurant, 337 N. Alister St.
• Adult water exercise classes, 60 minutes, 8:30 a.m. and noon, Tues. – Fri. community park (heated) swimming pool, 700 Clark Parkway.
• Meditation and relaxation class, alternating Thursdays, 6:30 p.m.Roberts Point Park small pavilion. For more information, call Pam Greene at 749-4158.
• Alcoholics Anonymous open meeting, 8 p.m. Monday through Sunday, Sharp Pavilion behind Trinity-by-the-Sea Episcopal Church, 433 Trojan. 749-6449.
• Adult tennis, 7:30 a.m. Mon., Wed., Fri., and 7 p.m. Mon. and Wed., PAISD courts on Station Street. Free, no partner needed. Call Murray 749- 4861 or 749-5131.
• Story Time, 10:30 – 11 a.m. Sat., Bill Ellis Memorial Library, 749-4116.
• Creative writing group, 10-noon Mon., JELM library, 113 S. Alister St.
• Golden Agers Lunch Bunch - full-time residents age 60 and over, Roberts Point Park. Meet at 11:30 a.m. Tues. Bring a sack lunch. Lunch at noon. Call 749-5319 for more information.
• Port Aransas Volleyball Assoc. Tues., H.G. Olsen Elementary School gym, 100 Station St.
• Birding on the Boardwalk, guided bird walk with Nan Dietert, 9 a.m., Wed. 749-4158.
• Kiwanis Club, noon Wed., Jay’s Seafood and Spaghetti Works, 710 State Hwy. 361.
THURSDAY, AUGUST 20
• Free movie, UTMSI Visitors Center, ‘Planet Earth: Shallow Seas,’ 50 min.Subject to cancellation without notice.
FRIDAY, AUGUST 21
• Pre-kindergarten and kindergarten Meet the Teacher, H.G. Olsen Elementary School, 100 S. Station St., 9 to 11 a.m. and 11 a.m. to noon. (See story Page 5A.)
• Brundrett Middle School orientation, 8:30 to 10 a.m.(See story Page 5A.)
SATURDAY, AUGUST 22
• Port Aransas Museum and Texas Historical Commission Oral History Workshop and Tour. (See story this page.)
MONDAY, AUGUST 24
• First day of classes, PAISD • No movie, UTMSI Visitors Center
TUESDAY, AUGUST 25
• Brundrett Middle School parents’ meeting, 6 to 7 p.m. at the school, corner of Ave. B and 10th St.(See story Page.)
• Keep Port Aransas Beautiful planning meeting,Ellis Memorial Library meeting room, 710 W. Ave. A, 6 p.m. (Sees story this page.)
• Texas Coastal Bend Regional Tourism Council meeting, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.,University of Texas Marine Science Institute auditorium.(See story this page.)
• Free movie, UTMSI Visitors Center, ‘The Sharks,’ 60 min. Subject to cancellation without notice.
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 26
• Free movie, UTMSI Visitors Center, ‘Conquerors,’ 53 min. Subject to cancellation without notice.
ON THE HORIZON
August 28: Guided Beach Walk
August 28-30: Texas Women Anglers’
THE ISLAND AGENDA IS FREE OF CHARGE TO NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATIONS OF PORT ARANSAS FOR ANNOUNCEMENTS OF MEETINGS AND SPECIAL EVENTS. CALL 749-5131OR E-MAIL SOUTHJETTY@CENTURYTEL.NET BEFORE NOON TUESDAY TO LIST AN EVENT OR MEETING.